Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Calendar

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I want my kids to be as excited about it as I am.   Last year,we did a Thanksgiving Calendar.  If you're looking for a Thanksgiving project that will help your children learn to be excited all year long, this would be a great one to try.







Materials for your Thanksgiving Calendar

Large piece of butcher paper
Markers

How to make your own Thanksgiving Calendar

At the beginning of the November, I drew a large calendar on a piece of butcher paper, and pinned it to the wall.   I marked Thanksgiving day with a circle.  Each day in November, we reviewed what holiday was approaching.  Since we were living in a country that does not observe Thanksgiving, I felt a special urgency to make sure that my preschoolers were aware of it.

My then three-year-old, chose something that he was thankful for, and I drew a picture of it on that day's square.   Originally, I thought he would draw the picture, but that was a stretch.   After my attempt at drawing, I would encourage him to thank God out loud for his chosen item.




This activity did build excitement for the coming holiday, and after a month of practicing, it became natural for my son to just announce, "I'm thankful for . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment